Monday, June 27, 2016

It's So Fruity. . .

Do you see the apricots on the ground? Yummmmmm.

Our yard is THE smorgasbord of Summer. We have all kinds of good eats growing and ripening - so many I only have time to mention a few.

You already know about my obsession with APRICOTS. I dearly love those so much that I get very naughty and refuse to come inside. EVEN when the sun comes down. As a result, the powers that be; i.e. the Mommys, put a fence across that portion of the yard. No more lounging in the sticker weeds eating 'cots. I MISS them so much. Mommy does occasionally pick some to share. Well - she did. It was so hot in the beginning of June that the apricots ripened A WHOLE MONTH early. Maybe more. Mommy #2 recalls apricots not coming in until July and lasting until August. So, I ask, what happened?

Could it be G----- W------?



Next up is our APPLE tree. As you can see in the photos, our apples are quickly approaching picking time. It will likely be late July or early August before they lose all bitterness and become the super sweet CRISP apples we love. I might add, this tree is normally a FALL fruit bearing one. That means these apples are running about 6 weeks early. Again, I blame the warm weather.

Nonetheless, the fruit is large and firm and a lot better looking than they have been over the last two DROUGHT years. We had a lot of rain this year - not enough to erase FOUR years of drought, but enough to make the yards and trees happier than they have been in a long time.

I loves loves loves APPLES. I go outside and just sit in the shade of the tree. The heavy branch you see is just above my head and is just about PICKABLE for me. That's because of the weight of the fruit. Auntie T says she is going to have to put a pole under the branch to raise it. As it is right now, the fruit is getting so heavy the branch is in danger of breaking before the fruit reaches complete ripeness. I won't mind the branch being lifted out of my reach as long as SOMEONE shares those ripe apples with me.

The citrus is not anywhere near ripe - nor is the pineapples. Funny thing about the pineapples - they were sprouted from STORE BOUGHT eatin' pineapples. Aunts B and T set some in water to sprout roots and once they did planted them. It has been years now and a couple of them have little 2 inch pineapples on them. Adorable! I loves loves loves pineapple too so I cannot wait for them to ripen.


Last but not least are the STRAWBERRIES, If you look closely at the above picture you will see some SMALL green berries. They take about a week and a half from this point to ripen. That is when I reach over the side of the planter and NIBBLE them, Pure HEAVEN.

This year we had some blue berries as well. That viney thing on the left side of the strawberry plants is the blueberry bush. It is young yet but shows a lot of promise. I would bet I PUGSONALLY harvested 10 blueberries myself. That is a tasty start.

We have some tomatoes and bell peppers in planter on the patio. They are still small and green - but once they hint of red, I will be checking those out as well.

I am the PRINCESS of our GARDEN harvest. What are you ROYALTY of?

9 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Julie said...

Oh Noodles I am drooooooling at all the fruity foodables you have in your garden!!!! No wonder you don't want to come back inside.
I have to settle for eating the flowers...not that there are many of them on our garden, just bonsai and I nose better than to mess with them!
Loves and licky kisses
Princess Leah xxx

Robin + Christmas said...

BOW WOW, I might prefer something meaty like bacon or pork chops, but I love eating apple slices!

Your apple loving pal,
Christmas

Two French Bulldogs said...

You can eat breakfast, lunch and dinner out there
Snorts,
Lily & Edward

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

OMD OMD NOODLE you are LIVIN LARGE in your Yard... we think you deserve a few COTS every day... and OH the Berries... and the promise of a crunchy apple... You are one LUCKY DAWG fur SURE... HEALTHY SNACKIN.

stellaroselong said...

OH NOODLES you have even more fruit then I do in my back yard, if I was you I would never come in the house, but move my bed to the outside and just let the fruit drop on me and eat it, I would never haf to move or run around..........what a life. stella rose
p.s. you are sooo right about gussie and the catch and release thing, it makes no sense but we did not want to dash his hopes.

Samantha said...

So jealous of those wonderful garden treasures! I do not have a green thumb!

Murphy said...

Wow, you have a regular buffet!

Your Pals,

Murphy & Stanley

Pug Slope said...

I want to come live in your backyard, Noodles! I bet if we stood on each other's shoulders we could reach ALL THE FRUIT! It all sounds so lovely. I think I'm gonna have to go beg my dad for some blueberries, now!

-Love,
Sid.