Did you know that October is also
PET ADOPTION MONTH
|KINDA like a real Adoption Certificate|
It is true. October is a great time to adopt a pet because there are a LOT of places offering adoption specials. It is also a good time to invest in a living fur "blanket" (as my Mommy calls me) for the upcoming COLD WINTER NIGHTS.
But I JEST and DIGRESS
Sincerely, though, if you are thinking of adding to your family (pet or otherwise) adoption is a GRRRRR8 alternative.
Adoption occupies a special place of honor in our family. Mommy #1 and her two cousins were all adopted from China. We call our family custom packaged. Originally Mommy #2 was looking into pet adoption when she decided to add a DOG to her lil' family. But then she decided to get a PUG and not just a DOG and that brought a whole new set of issues to the process. Long story short, I was adopted from a Pug Breeder. But that was after A LOT of research, emails, applications, questions, etc.
Now we know even MORE about pet adoption, so my Mommys KNOW where the next household pet is coming from.
As IF I would ever allow another PUG or DOG in the house. Wink!Wink!
Here are some things to keep in mind about PET ADOPTION
(the full list is here http://www.parents.com/parenting/pets/kids/15-reasons-to-adopt-a-pet/?page=2)
- You save a life: The truth is, the shelters are full and it is hard to find enough foster homes for all of the animals. Many shelters resort to euthanasia when they can no longer handle all the homeless animals.
- You seriously do damage to the puppy mill and pet stores who sell the "product." If there is no money to be made, the mills will close. It will eliminate one of the main sources of sick dogs, abused dogs, and tossed away pets.
- You take a stand against pets being considered DISPOSABLE. A pet should be considered like a beloved family member and not as something to cast off when it is old, a little tattered or just not wanted anymore.
- You'll get a HEALTHY pet. Adoption groups make sure the animals they send to forever homes have been vet checked and health cleared. It is almost like getting a CERTIFIED PRE-OWN car!!!
- You will RECEIVE a new family member who will bring an endless well of JOY to your life - better yet, an older pet might already be "broken" in regarding manners and behavior.
I realize in many cases I am preaching to the choir - after all, most of my audience are pet owners and A Bowl of Noodles IS a PET BLOG. So share the information or even pass on the link for my blog to others who MAY NOT be in the know as we ALL are. It is only through EDUCATION and SHARING that we can affect change.
MAKE A DIFFERENCE - SUPPORT PET ADOPTION