Friday, May 5, 2017

Grab Your Pinatas - It's PAWty Time!!!

Aiaiai! Felicidades AMIGOS. Today is one of the funnest days on our calendar - Cinco de Mayo. It is a day to celebrate Mexican heritage - and believe me, California is steeped in Mexican heritage. We actually belonged to Mexico a long long time ago when my Mommy #2's ancestors made their way north. This was in 1797 and it was long before westward expansion began.

(By the way, my Mommy #2 is kinda a MUTT. She is mixed with all kinds of human breeds like English, Irish, Spanish, and on and on. . . But I don't let on to her that I know and I DON'T hold it against her.)

And look at all the the city names in California that have their beginnings in Mexico -

  • Santa Clara -- Saint Clare
  • San Jose -- Saint Joseph
  • Modesto -- Modest
  • Mariposa -- Butterfly
  • Los Angeles --The Angels
  • San Diego -- Saint Jacob
  • Sacramento -- Sacrament
In San Francisco (see, another one) there is an important street named Embarcadero which translates to Pier; and that is exactly what it was at one time. I could go on and on. 

Mexican culture is well entrenched in California as well. Our neighborhood church had a yearly FIESTA and our school parties often were called fiestas. Pinatas have long been a staple of of birthday parties here. And can we talk about my FAVORITE day of the week - TACO TUESDAY?

With all this in mind, it is not a surprise that today, the Fifth of May is set aside to honor this rich culture. I am so happy, too. I love the chance to bring out my SOMBRERO and dance a SALSA or TWO.


Celebre grande, AMIGOS

And have a great weekend. Remember to have some naps along with your fun.


Affirmation #11


3 comments:

Two French Bulldogs said...

Fiesta baby
Lily & Edward

Idaho PugRanch said...

Naps sound great!
hugs
Mr Bailey, Hazel & Mabel

Jean Dion said...

Oh, that leg hug just melts my heart. That's the perfect way to spend an evening.

Jean from Welcome to the Menagerie