Monday, July 24, 2017

Wonderful Summer Weekend


It was HOT this weekend. Highs were approaching 100 degrees F (38 Celsius) this weekend which meant Mommy was canning. No one understands how this happens; but every time she brings out the canning equipment, the temperatures rise. It is the weirdest thing. It was NOT supposed to be so hot but somewhere along the way the trade winds shifted the Peninsula heated up.

Mommy was ambitious. She made 5 (FIVE) kinds of jam. She did not want any of the fruit to go to waste and what better use (other than eating) than making jam. That way she can share it at Christmas and everyone gets a little taste of Summer during the cold winter months.

I helped her pick white peaches from the house we are staying at. It is a labor of love, I tell you. And I loves loves loves white peaches. Mommy made sure to give me some once we were done.

I see a Peach
After we picked the peaches we headed to our REAL home to cook them. Mommy made Apricot, Apricot Habanero, White Peach with blueberries, White Peach Chardonnay, Yellow Peach Mango - all jams.
That took all day! I supervised the whole time and for my efforts I got some apricot and yellow peach as well. Later in the day Mommy gave me an Oravet dental chew to clean all off that sugar.

We were exhausted following all that jamming and the temps being so high did not help. Fans and AC help but don't completely eliminate the oppressive heat.

Sunday was a day of rest. We slept in and ate a leisurely breakfast. Then Mommy #2 and I sat on the floor and she read while I napped. It was a perfect day.





4 comments:

Julie said...

I'm going to use a quotation from a very good furfriend of mine because all this talk about the yummy fruits and jam making makes 'my mouth cry with tears of delight'
Oh I LUFFS that image!
Loves and licky kisses
Princess Leah xxx

Life With Lucy and Poppy said...

What a fun day! I wish my momma canned stuff...I would love to taste test!!!

Puppy Growls,
Lucy

Pug Slope said...

I bet that jam is delicious! Glad to hear you got a taste!

-Love,
Sid.

Andrea @ This Pug Life said...

Oh canning, it really is a labor of love but the HEAT. Oy. I have fond memories of canning jams and pickles with my grandma. My mom still does pickles and salsa when she has a big enough garden. A couple years ago she had a huge tomato crop so I decided to do homemade sauce. 55lbs of tomatoes turned into just 10 pints of sauce! My friend helped so it was a fun day, but definitely was not a savings over buying it from the store lol.