Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Grumble Like There's No Tomorrow


Me and my FURiends at PS Meet-Up in March
Fun Fact: A group of pugs is called a "grumble"

Why is a group of pugs called a GRUMBLE? I don't understand because we are such FUN loving pets. And of all dogs, I think PUGS smile the most. We are happy little dogs. So when my Mommy told me that a group of PUGS is called a grumble, I wondered WHY?

Maybe it has something to do with the noises we make when we are excited? You know the ones - snorts, sneezes, and wheezes. I guess when we are in a group making those noises it does sorta sound like grumbling. But again, grumbling is such a negative word.

I again visited my FURiend Mr. Webster and he offered the following synonyms for "Grumble" which he thought might enlighten me. The list of words LIKE "grumble" are also very negative -

beef, bellyache, bitch, bleat, carp, caterwaul, crab, croak, fuss, gripe, grizzle, grouch, grouse, growl, complain, grump, holler, inveigh, keen, kick, kvetch, maunder [chiefly British], moan, murmur, mutter, nag, repine, scream, squawk, squeal, wail, whimper, whine, whinge [British], yammer, yawp (or yaup), yowl

 So I have not solved this dilemma of why a group of the Happiest Dogs on Earth are called something so negative. I welcome any enlightenment you can offer me.

So if I have to call our group a G-R-U-M-B-L-E then I am going to make the most of it. I loves loves LOVES to meet up with my pug pals and play.


HAPPY THOUGHT OF THE DAY: Make something negative into a positive

4 comments:

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

WHAT??? Do you mean if a bunch of our PUG furends get together fur a PAWty.. "THEY" would call that a GRUMBLE?

Pup Fan said...

This is an amazing factoid. I love it!

Two French Bulldogs said...

It looks more like a snortin extravaganza
Benny & Lily

Pug Slope said...

I've never heard of that one before, Noodles. Thanks for the fun fact. I do tend to grumble a bit (when I'm not getting the amount of treats I want) so I guess the term may have originally been coined when describing a group of treat-deprived pugs. :)

-Love,
Sid.