Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Grumble Like There's No Tomorrow


Me and my FURiends at PS Meet-Up in March
Fun Fact: A group of pugs is called a "grumble"

Why is a group of pugs called a GRUMBLE? I don't understand because we are such FUN loving pets. And of all dogs, I think PUGS smile the most. We are happy little dogs. So when my Mommy told me that a group of PUGS is called a grumble, I wondered WHY?

Maybe it has something to do with the noises we make when we are excited? You know the ones - snorts, sneezes, and wheezes. I guess when we are in a group making those noises it does sorta sound like grumbling. But again, grumbling is such a negative word.

I again visited my FURiend Mr. Webster and he offered the following synonyms for "Grumble" which he thought might enlighten me. The list of words LIKE "grumble" are also very negative -

beef, bellyache, bitch, bleat, carp, caterwaul, crab, croak, fuss, gripe, grizzle, grouch, grouse, growl, complain, grump, holler, inveigh, keen, kick, kvetch, maunder [chiefly British], moan, murmur, mutter, nag, repine, scream, squawk, squeal, wail, whimper, whine, whinge [British], yammer, yawp (or yaup), yowl

 So I have not solved this dilemma of why a group of the Happiest Dogs on Earth are called something so negative. I welcome any enlightenment you can offer me.

So if I have to call our group a G-R-U-M-B-L-E then I am going to make the most of it. I loves loves LOVES to meet up with my pug pals and play.


HAPPY THOUGHT OF THE DAY: Make something negative into a positive

5 comments:

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

WHAT??? Do you mean if a bunch of our PUG furends get together fur a PAWty.. "THEY" would call that a GRUMBLE?

Pup Fan said...

This is an amazing factoid. I love it!

Two French Bulldogs said...

It looks more like a snortin extravaganza
Benny & Lily

PugSlope.com said...

I've never heard of that one before, Noodles. Thanks for the fun fact. I do tend to grumble a bit (when I'm not getting the amount of treats I want) so I guess the term may have originally been coined when describing a group of treat-deprived pugs. :)

-Love,
Sid.

Rolex Watches said...

Naxos is the largest uk Replica watches and most radical clady Islands and impressive mountain landscape is famous for its rich, many isolated traditional villages, people still wear traditional  replica handbags uk clothing, old loom weaving and lived on the land, is Europe’s most beautiful golden sand watches Replica beach. Take South also is an ancient Church, monastery and the Rolex Replicas castle and family charming capital. Its name, beautiful scenery, and behind the legendary story, get Replica Handbags to fashion Replica Louis Vuitton Rolex Watches some mystery.Whenever any woman hears about word Handbags Replica , she gets wrong facts about it.