Thursday, November 19, 2015

Could I Be Turning Frutarian?

fruit·ar·i·an
/ˌfro͞oˈterēən/ 
noun
  1. a person who eats only fruit.




So lately I have been spending a lot of time in the yard. Even when it has been raining. (Yes, we have gotten some welcomed rain lately. I think El Nino has finally arrived.)

I wander here and there checking out the pee mail and smelling the air for news of the 'hood. It is my ME time. . . . my ALONE time. . . . my SNEAK FRUIT time. I have to confess, I LOVE FRUIT. And our yard is usually so BOUNTIFUL. But this year, the fourth year of the drought, our garden output was dismal. We had very few apricots and they were tasteless. We had no plums (the tree dried) and very few strawberries after Spring. The APPLE tree has fruit but it is small and grainy which the HUMANS do not care for. So they have been left on the tree to fall off.



FALL OFF????? Yes, that's right - fall off - and into my waiting MAW. OMP! It is an apple bonanza out there. I might be exaggerating a little since I already let you know there weren't too many. But even what grew was a lot of apples for this little PUG.

SO here's how it goes: I beg and beg to go out as if my bladder was bursting. Of course Mommys let me out because they don't want to clean up a pee mess. That is when I make my way to the tree and hide among the low branches so I cannot be seen. It is there that the yummiest apples fall. 

Heaven!

I hear Mommy calling me. . .  and calling me. . . and  calling me. . . I just choose to ignore her because I am in APPLE HEAVEN! I simply cannot get enough of them. I checked the tree the other day (easy to do as now the leaves are falling) and there are not too many apples left to fall. I best enjoy them while they last.

I was wandering the other side of the yard after the big wind hit (earlier this week we had winds so big they knocked our basketball net over onto Auntie T's sorta new car. She was not too happy, I can tell you) and under the MAGNOLIA tree leaves was something interesting, bright orange and globe shaped. It wasn't an ORANGE, I knew that. I like oranges to, by the way. It was kinda shiny and different. So I sniffed it and rolled it around with my nose. 

The most heavenly aroma wafted up to me. . . it was HONEY SWEET smelling but with a tartness to it. I grabbed it in my jaw to carry it to cleaner more open space. Just then I heard Mommy yelling for me (indicating this was not the first call) so I thought I had better answer. I took a chance hoping she would not be looking too closely at me and ran to the house with my prize still in my mouth.

Did not fool her one bit. "Noodles! What's in your mouth?" she said. My eyes told her "Nothing." So she grabbed at it. I know better than to snap at her or growl so I let her take the EXPOSED part thinking I could secret the rest away to eat in my BIG ROOM. She was having none of it. "DROP!" she said in that stern ALPHA voice. So I did. "Oh!" she said. "You have a persimmon. It must have somehow blown over from the Huangs next door."
 
Then she took all of the pieces I had carted in, washed the dirt off of them, and put them in my dish! I didn't even have to share with Molly.

Here is my new love


10 comments:

Samantha said...

Lol! BabyBelle loves fruit too!

Julie said...

I is more a veggie pup than a fruity pup Noodles but I will try an apple or two after your recommendation. I is not sure about the persimmon thingys as Mum isn't sure where she can get them….i finks I might had to task her to get sum for me
Loves and licky kisses
Princess Leah xxx

Ranger said...

OMD..... I never had me a persimMom. It kinda looks like a ToeMatToe.
I get to have apples butt only once they have been cut in little pieces. Mom doesn't want me to eat any of da apple seeds as they are BAD for me. Apples are grrrrrrreat!
Wags,
Ranger

Anonymous said...

OH YUM! Every bit as good as apples. Thanks for the idea. Mom is off to buy some persimmons. We can't wait. We are so glad you got to eat something besides one carrot.

Yours in tummy rumbles,
Daisy and Scooter Pugman

stellaroselong said...

I AM THE SAME......I AM THE SAME.........WE ARE TWINS!!!!!
STELLA ROSE

Tweedles -- that's me said...

i like strawberrys
love
tweedles

Idaho PugRanch said...

ooohh how lucky Noodles! Yay for mommy letting you enjoy that treat!
hugs
Mr Bailey, Hazel & Mabel

Two French Bulldogs said...

They get us every time
Love & peas,
Lily & Edward

Matilda the Boxer said...

Wow, how nice of your momma! I thought she was going to keep it all to herself!

Pug Slope said...

I'm so glad you got to keep the fruit in the end, Noodles! Time to befriend the Huangs so you can get more of their delicious edibles! When I lived in California, we had a FIG tree in our yard. Oh man, were those tasty. Unfortunately I wasn't sneaky enough and got caught eating a fig one day so then my dad put up a wire fence around the tree so I couldn't eat any more. Total bummer. Anyway, hope you get more fruit again soon!

-Love,
Sid.