Tuesday, August 7, 2018

BeFLEA Me - It's No Fun . . . A Noodles the Pug PSA

NOTE: I do not have FLEAS because my Humans
prevent them from joining our household. I do,
however have YOGURT on my chin and cheeks

There are few things worse than itchy skin caused by FLEAS. I have had them, I will not lie. But my HUfamily goes out of its way to prevent them from entering the home. And if they do happen to hitch a ride, seldom do they have time to set up residency.

www.thepestkillers.com


In California, where I live, fleas are in season ALL YEAR ROUND. That is because it is pleasant pretty much all year round. We have cold days . . . and we have wet days . . . but seldom for very long. As a result, having a game plan against fleas is really important for everyPUGGY'S peace of mind.

There are many ways to prevent FLEAS from becoming a problem - some are chemical, granted. Many are natural, though, and are therefore friendlier to the environment and pet health. I wanna make you aware of some of the natural ways you can stop F-L-E-A-S (even the word makes me itchy).

I want you to know, I had to GOOGLE this info. I don't know it. I am the recipient of it. I expect the HUMANS to KNOW this stuff. But my HUMOM says she has to GOOGLE this stuff too; and that she mixes it up all the time as sometimes the effectiveness goes away the longer you use a solution. Therefore, she says, constantly being on the lookout for something new is very important.

Cleaning and vacuuming are two of the best ways to rid your home of fleas. Once they are spotted, the area needs to be stripped of bedding and pillows and anything else where a flea can make a home (area rugs, for example.) Some effective cleaners and powders are vinegar and water, essential oil solutions, powdered garlic and diatomaceous earth. Remember, this action needs to be repeated over the course of a month or more as fleas quickly lay eggs which hatch creating more fleas. The cycle has to be broken with repeated treatments.

What can you do to rid and relieve your PET or YOURSELF of fleas? That's a little trickier especially for small pets as their skin and systems are sensitive. Feeding your dog small amounts of garlic can help. Emphasis on small amount as large amounts of garlic are very harmful to a dog or cat. Use fresh organic garlic that you chop yourself and it should be okay. (Check with your vet for the proper amount.) Apple cider vinegar balances the dog's PH levels and prevents fleas from considering their coats as home. A homemade spray from essential oils is also a good preventative to use on your pet. Be careful - while most oils are safe for Fido and Kitty, some essential oils are toxic to animals. Rosemary as a flea dip is very effective as well (and makes your pet smell fresh as well). If you have a lemon tree, you are in luck! Citrus is a natural pest repellent and even something as simple as rubbing some lemon on your dogs coat will prevent fleas from landing.

At the end of the day, flea prevention and relief is a matter of being diligent. Here are some sites I explored for this post. Good luck and have an ITCH FREE day.




  1. http://untrainedhousewife.com/5-natural-home-flea-remedies-that-actually-work
  2. https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/best-home-remedies-fleas/
  3. https://www.mnn.com/family/pets/stories/7-natural-flea-remedies-cats-and-dogs
  4. Chewy.com Natural Flea solutions
  5. https://thepestkillers.com/flea-repellent-for-humans/

5 comments:

Julie said...

If you like Noodles, I'll hop over the Pond and clear up the yogurt fur you??????
Great advice on the flea stuffs, its certainly that time of year over here and I have had my stuffs put on, Mum says I'm a walking chemical experiment and she is very interested in trying less chemical type stuffs on me
Loves and licky kisses
Princess Leah xxx

stellaroselong said...

yummmmmmmmm yogurt. That is one good thing about Iowa the colder than hell winters, kills those fleas dead. Our mom is extra vigilant also so it hardly ever happens to us, unless some stray whatever comes around and she ends up keeping it. mags and gusser

Idaho PugRanch said...

We are very lucky to not have much of a flea problem here. Mom also prefers natural products
hugs
Hazel & Mabel

Paul Wegman said...

Yes, we are also dealing with the fleas through out the year. Me and my wife use coconut oil to prevent fleas, with its not very effective with ticks. As our dog love to roll in bushes, we have to do something about ticks. We were already giving Heartgard plus so we added nexgard to his supplies. Natural preventions are good but they are not 100% effective sometimes.
I shop from bestvetcare.com. Supply comes in 2 weeks but worth the wait.
Love from Sandy.

Rocky-loves-Bravecto said...

Ya, paul wegman is correct. coconut oil is no good against ticks plus I don't like smell of the coconut. Now days I order my supplies from Canada so i don't need a prescription.